Air Conditioning Maintenance
DIY and Professional
We’ve come to depend on central air conditioning to keep our homes and businesses cool and comfortable. But just like any other mechanical system, your central AC needs regular maintenance.
The biggest and simplest part of air conditioning maintenance is up to you, the homeowner. By regularly changing the filter, you help the system cool as it should. Dirty and clogged filters make your central AC work harder – which reduces efficiency and can lead to bigger problems that call for repairs.
Get the thickest, most efficient filters you can afford, and replace them at or before the recommended schedule. If you have pets or it’s the middle of pollen season, replacing the filters on time is even more crucial.
Don’t Forget to Check Outside
In addition, be sure to check on the large AC unit sitting outside your home on a concrete pad. Ideally, there should be at least two feet of unoccupied space on each side of the unit. Cut back or remove shrubs, flowers, or vines that are encroaching on the unit. The air conditioning unit operates most efficiently if it has proper airflow.
Professional Air Conditioning Maintenance
Just like you schedule an appointment with a mechanic for an oil change and tune-up every so many miles, if you want your central AC to operate at peak performance, you should schedule yearly maintenance of your AC unit with a trained and certified HVAC company.
This maintenance should include:
- Checking refrigerant levels and adjusting as needed
- Testing for refrigerant leaks
- Measuring airflow through the evaporator coil
- Cleaning the evaporator and condenser coils
- Lubricating blower and condenser fans
- Testing the blower motor for proper operation
- Testing the compressor
- Inspecting electric terminals and tightening connections
- Checking and sealing duct leaks where accessible/applicable
- Checking and clearing the condensate line and drain pan
- Checking the accuracy of the thermostat and adjusting as needed
One last point – since your central air conditioning unit and your heating unit are interdependent, you’ll want to keep up with heating maintenance as well.
Benefits of Air Conditioning Maintenance
Don’t neglect your central air conditioning system. By performing some maintenance yourself and scheduling annual professional maintenance, you’ll reap the benefits, which include:
- Cheaper repair bills – annual maintenance can catch a problem while it’s still small, and less expensive to fix.
- Lower utility bills – by keeping your system running at peak performance (remember those filters), you will have lower utility bills than if your system has to work harder than it should.
- Increased longevity – by performing regular maintenance, your central air conditioning system will last longer.
Ignoring regular air conditioning maintenance tasks sets your system up for failure. At the very least, change those filters!
Our Cockeysville HVAC Experts Are Ready to Help!
Fill out the contact form to request a quote or service, or call (410) 989-4378 24/7 for immediate help. We serve Cockeysville, Hunt Valley, Pikesville, Sparks, Stevenson, Timonium, and surrounding areas.
‘Round the Clock Availability
No matter the hour, you can trust One Hour to be there to help you when you get hit with the unexpected.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We guarantee our materials, labor, and craftsmanship for up to two years from the date of your service.
StraightForward Pricing® Guide
Before we start any work, we discuss your available options so you know exactly what you are getting and how much it will cost. No hidden fees!
Always On Time…Or You Don’t Pay A Dime!®
We understand your time is valuable, so we promise to arrive at your home within the predetermined time window that you select, or your service call is free.
When your air conditioner or heater stops working, it affects your entire family’s comfort. During those moments, you need a team of experienced HVAC experts you can trust. At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning, we provide reliable and high-quality air conditioning and heating services at all hours. Whether you need assistance with air conditioning repairs, furnace installations, or indoor air quality, there’s nothing our team can’t handle.
We have One Hour locations all across the country, so you’re sure to have a local One Hour expert in your neighborhood. All One Hour locations are independently owned and operated, so you can get high-quality repairs from a national brand while supporting local business.
or Call Us at (410) 989-4378