There’s nothing like waking up in the freezing cold in the middle of the night. Right?
If your furnace goes out, you can be dealing with more than just one headache. In addition to your comfort, you could be facing other problems like freezing pipes. While you should always call in a professional when it comes to your furnace, there are a few things you can do at home.
Here are some furnace troubleshooting tips:
- Check your thermostat. Sure, you might have set the temperature you want in your home, but make sure you set it to HEAT. Many times, furnace problems start right at the thermostat and settings will need manual adjustment. If the temperature in your home doesn’t get to your desired settings within an hour, then you should call in a pro.
- Check your filter. Another common furnace issue is with the filter. Furnace filters should be changed monthly. Dirty filters are no good for your system because they allow dirt, dust, and other debris to infiltrate your furnace and it reduces airflow. In turn, your furnace will struggle to work and will result in reduced heat output.
- Make sure the furnace is on. This might sound like a no-brainer but it’s a common occurrence. Maybe your furnace shut off during a power outage and never turned back on. Perhaps the furnace switch got bumped during cleaning. Check to see if the unit is on. Likewise, check the circuit breaker to ensure power is going to the unit.
- Check the battery. Some furnaces are wired right into your home’s electric system while others are hooked up to a battery.
- Keep the unit free from obstruction. Furnaces are typically in basements. Basements are notorious spots for homeowners to store items. Make sure nothing is blocking the unit as it might restrict airflow or could cause potential damage and may even be a fire hazard.
- Check your vents. Make sure there are no obstructions or debris blocking your vents. If you don’t feel the heat, it could be as easy as clearing your vents and registers. If that doesn’t do the trick, it’s time to call in a professional HVAC technician to assist you.
Furnace Repair in Pleasantville, NJ
Looking for professional furnace repair in South Jersey? Contact the experts at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning for prompt, thorough, and dependable furnace repair. Our highly skilled technicians are available to assist your 365 days a year and we also make emergency visits. Schedule service with our furnace crew today!