Perhaps you’re trying to figure out how much time your current residential HVAC system has left. Maybe you want to know how long a new system will last. Either way, you’re here because you’re curious about the life expectancy of an HVAC system for your home. “How long will it last?” is a common question we hear a lot. That’s why we know you won’t be crazy about the answer – it depends. But the good news is that you can make a difference. That’s because maintenance is of vital importance in lengthening the lifespan of your system.
Average HVAC System Life Expectancy
Generally, you can expect your HVAC equipment to last anywhere between 15 and 25 years. Regular maintenance, tune-ups, and efficient use can put you in the 25- to 30-year category. With no maintenance, you may only get 12 to 15 years of use from your system. Infrequent maintenance is likely to land your system in the middle ranges.
Other factors include the following:
- Whether your furnace and A/C are sized properly for your home
- The type of HVAC system you have
- Whether you use additional methods to heat and cool your home
- Daily run-time hours – how much you use it
- Geographic location
- Indoor and outdoor environments
All things considered; the average range is around 15 to 18 years of service. But you will shorten that timeframe if you fail to maintain your system.
Don’t Shorten the Lifespan of Your HVAC System
Proper use, regular maintenance, and timely repairs will help extend the life of your HVAC components. But the following issues will impact their performance and ability to function properly.
- Improper use: Read your user manuals and direct any questions to your HVAC service professional to ensure you’re using your furnace, A/C, and other HVAC equipment properly.
- Overuse: Don’t expect your A/C and furnace to do all the heaving lifting. You’ll wear out your equipment much faster if you run them extensively and use very high and low settings during extreme weather conditions.
- Dirty Air Ducts: Help your HVAC system function efficiently with good airflow through your duct system. Schedule air duct cleaning to removing debris, pollutants, and other contaminants.
- Seasonal Tune-ups: Minimize premature wear and tear and help prevent costly breakdowns with A/C tune-ups before warm weather months and heating tune-ups before winter hits. This smart TLC can extend the life of your system.
If your HVAC system is on its last legs, our knowledgeable technicians at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Toms River can help. We’ll size your home and discuss your heating and cooling needs to choose the right equipment for your residence. Then, we can take care of the installation with skill and efficiency.
Give us a call at (732) 355-3959 to schedule an HVAC consultation.