One thing about life in Miami is that a working air conditioner unit is essential for survival. As we approach summer, the thought of your air conditioning unit going on the fritz may be enough to send you into a panic. But, don't worry, the HVAC experts at One Hour Miami are here to help you stay cool all summer long.
What to Do if Your A/C Unit Starts Making Strange Sounds
If your air conditioner starts making loud noises, there's likely an issue with loose parts, missing or broken isolation feet, a refrigerant leak, or a malfunctioning compressor. If your unit is squeaking, the problem likely lies in the belt connecting the motor to the blower. Either way, a strange noise coming from your air conditioner is a cry for help, and you should contact a professional HVAC company ASAP to ensure further damage doesn't happen that leads your unit to stop working completely.
What About Funky Smells?
There are several factors that could cause your A/C unit to emit a funky smell, including:
- A dead animal trapped in the unit
- Mold or mildew has accumulated (thanks to the Miami humidity) and is now blowing around your home.
- If your A/C unit smells like it's burning, it might be caused by the motor overheating, a wiring issue, or another mechanical problem. If this is the case, you should turn the unit off ASAP and call for help.
Help! My Air Conditioner is Blowing Warm Air!
If your A/C is acting more like a heater, you should first and foremost make sure you have not accidentally flipped the switch to heat. If all is good, there are a few other culprits.
- Your unit is low on refrigerant. Don't think you can go to Walmart and pick up some refrigerant and DIY. Coolant is actually very dangerous and should only be used by qualified HVAC technicians.
- Your air filter is dirty. Though your air filter has nothing to do with temperature, if it's dirty, it will likely cause your evaporator coil to be dirty too. Once the evaporator coil becomes clogged with dust and debris, there may not be sufficient free airflow to allow the system to properly cool the air.
Bottom line, if you are experiencing any issues with your air conditioning unit, the best (and safest) course of action is to contact a professional HVAC company. Count on One Hour for all of your Miami HVAC needs. Our team is here for you, day or night, whenever your HVAC unit starts malfunctioning. Contact us today for a free consultation.