Americans waste more energy than any other country in the world, and according to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling accounts for more than half of the average home’s utility costs. In honor of Earth Day, which is celebrated around the world on April 22, One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Midland Park wants to educate you and the community on how easy it can be to conserve energy, help the planet and save money.
We’ve been serving customers in your local area for years and have compiled a list of simple tips every home owner can use not only this month, but all year long.
- Change the air filter regularly. At a minimum, it should be changed every three months, but during the winter and summer, check it monthly.
- Install a programmable thermostat. According to Energy Star, it can help save up to $180 every year in energy costs.
- Seal heating and cooling ducts. Ensure that the connections at vents and registers are well-sealed where they meet the floors, walls and ceiling. These are common locations to find leaks and disconnected ductwork that could be wasting energy and money.
- Maintain equipment. Keep the cooling and heating system at peak performance by having an HVAC contractor conduct annual check-ups.
- Consult a technician. Call a professional for a complete evaluation of your heating and air system’s efficiency. There could be additional ways to save money.