The Dangers of ElectricityIt may surprise you to learn that home electrical systems cause over 50,000 fires every year, resulting in 490 deaths and more than 1,400 injuries. Most of these fires are preventable, but only if you know what steps to take to protect your family and home from electrical fire.
Only Trust the ProfessionalsBuilding codes are stricter now than ever before, and fires from new wiring are relatively rare. However, fires from faulty wiring that has been improperly fixed are still common. This includes plugs, receptacles, and switches that have been broken in the past and were repaired by a homeowner or another person who lacked the necessary skills and training. When you need electrical repair work done in your home, only trust a skilled, licensed Augusta electrician to perform the repairs.
Watch for Warning SignsMost faulty wiring will give you a few warnings before it actually sparks into a fire. Watch for these signs so you can call for electrical maintenance at the first sign of problems.
- Appliances or tools that overheat, cause small shocks, tend to short out, or that smoke
- Recurring problems with a particular fuse blowing out or a circuit breaker tripping
- An appliance that gives you a tingling feeling when touched
- Discoloration or warm areas on wall outlets or switches
- Flickering lights
- Sparks from wall outlet
- Outlets that are broken or cracked