How Cracked Heat Exchangers Can Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning
A heat exchanger is a mechanism configured to transfer heat from one place to another, often used in home heating systems. A cracked heat exchanger is a potential danger because it can put off carbon dioxide, which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in serious health issues and even death. As an invisible gas that has no odor, carbon monoxide is especially dangerous as it is undetectable by humans. When carbon monoxide is found to be present in a home, the first area of suspicion is often the heat exchanger in the furnace. A heat exchanger operates when its tubes are heated up by the furnace. It then distributes the heated air from those tubes into the room. Air distributed into the home by the heat exchanger should be safe from carbon monoxide and other exhaust fumes, as furnaces are configured to release their exhaust outside. But, if there is a crack in the heat exchanger or venting system, carbon monoxide can be filtered into the home and carbon monoxide poisoning can occur. Furnaces cause carbon monoxide poisoning more often than any other fuel burning appliance, and cracked heat exchangers and broken vents are often the cause. If you suspect an issue with your heat exchanger or furnace, it's important to contact a heating contractor and furnace repair service as soon as possible. If you live in Augusta, Georgia, or the surrounding area and are seeking a furnace repair service, contact Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® . We will inspect your furnace and heat exchanger and provide repairs as needed.Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® also provides air conditioning repair and other HVAC repair services. Our licensed and knowledgeable representatives are available 24/7, including holidays and weekends. ContactDuggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® today to schedule your service.