As we finally thaw out from a brutal winter, you may not be thinking much about improving your indoor air quality. After all, it would be very understandable if you simply want to appreciate the fact that the temperatures are finally beginning to warm up. However, there are some very simple steps you can take to breathe a lot easier – and a lot healthier as well – this spring.
How to Do it
The first thing you should do is have your air conditioner checked to make sure all components are clean and working properly. This could wind up not only improving your indoor air quality, but also saving you a lot of money on wasted energy and repair costs. Here are some other things you can do:
- Have everyone leave their shoes at the door so they don’t bring allergens in your home.
- Vacuum and clean on a regular basis to get rid of contaminants such as dust mites.
- Clean your carpeting thoroughly as well as old bedding.
- If you smoke, do it outside.
- Instead of using chemicals to catch bugs and rodents, use traps instead.
- Check for any potential leaks in your home and have them fixed immediately to reduce the risk of mold and dust mite growth.
- Run your bathroom exhaust fan about 5-10 minutes after you take a shower to remove excess moisture.
These are just a few of the ways that you can help improve the indoor air quality in your home. By doing so, you and everyone else will enjoy the benefits of clean air and not be susceptible to some of the health problems that can result from contaminants that thrive in many homes.
If you would like to learn more about how to improve your indoor air quality or schedule an appointment for air conditioner maintenance, get in touch with One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Elk Grove at (847) 744-9447 or contact us online.
American Comfort One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning provide HVAC services for the cities of Elk Grove Village, Roselle, Park Ridge, Schaumburg, Chicago.