Niceville, Destin and Valparaiso are beautiful places to live, but it takes a powerful air conditioner to keep up with Florida’s extreme heat and humidity. If it’s time to check into an AC installation or replacement, there are many things to consider before you buy.
3 Signs That It’s Time for an AC Installation or Replacement
- Performance: If you’re having trouble with temperature and humidity control or excessive noise, it might be time for an upgrade.
- Ownership Costs: If you’re spending too much to operate and maintain an aging air conditioner, check into a new system.
- System Age: Air conditioners that are more than 15 or 20 years old are ripe for replacement as a rule of thumb.
What to Look for in a New AC System
If you haven’t replaced your air conditioner or heat pump in the past 15 or 20 years, the advances might surprise you. The minimum seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) for central cooling equipment is 14 in Florida and the Southeast. To qualify for the Energy Star program, products must be rated at 15 SEER, but many systems are substantially more efficient.
- Compared to older 10-SEER systems, an Energy Star-qualified base model can shave 30 percent off your annual cooling bills.
- Air conditioners with a SEER of 16 or 17 are typically equipped with two-stage compressors. By running at lower capacities, these products can cut your energy bills by an additional 10 percent.
- Top-of-the-line models feature variable-speed compressors and air handlers that modulate in incremental capacities between 40 and 100 percent. Efficiency ratings over 20 SEER are possible with this technology.
AC Installation on the Emerald Coast
A new air conditioning system can boost your comfort and lower your energy bills. Newer systems are quieter, more efficient and provide better dehumidification. To learn more about the latest technology, call One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating® of Niceville at (850) 783-4194, or read about our air conditioning installation services online.