A bonus room can be a huge advantage, especially for large families. You can use it as a media room, extra living room, or even an arts and crafts room if you want to. However, the downside is that it’s one more space you need to keep cool when the summer weather turns hot.
If you’re struggling to keep your bonus room cool during the recent heatwaves, here are five steps that will help you do just that.
- Install a window unit. This is a great way to keep costs low without sacrificing your family’s comfort. Adding the window unit will give that bonus room the extra cooling it needs without causing the entire home’s electric bill to skyrocket
- Plant trees outside the bonus room. This is a strategic and attractive way to keep the room’s temperature down. Trees or other greenery can block some of the sun and keep the room cooler throughout the day.
- Add extra insulation to the room. Depending on where the room is located in your home, it might not be well-insulated. If this is the case, look into adding more insulation so that the cold air from your AC doesn’t escape through the walls.
- Keep the windows covered during the day. Installing blinds or heavy curtains can substantially decrease the amount of heat that seeps into the room via the window. This is an especially important step if your bonus room faces the sun as it rises or sets.
- Look into a mini-split ductless system. This new technology sections the house into zones, which means you can specifically target the bonus room when cooling things down.
Want to learn more about these steps or a mini-split air conditioning system? Call Northern's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning®. Their trained technicians will help solve common cooling system problems, deal with emergency repairs, and give advice on replacing your AC system. Learn more by dialing (763) 284-8639 today.