With cold temperatures on the way, there are easy things you can do to save money with the biggest energy user in your home.
According to the Department of Energy, heating and cooling your home accounts for about 48 percent of your utility bill. Your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system use more energy than any other system in your home. You can help beat the chill this season with these top five ways to save from One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning®:
- 1. Drafts - Find them and fix them. A tube of caulk is cheaper than extra use on your utility bill. Use a candle to find air currents (be careful.) Clean outdoor surfaces and caulk from the outside if possible.
- 2. Programmable thermostat - Now is a good time to consider a programmable thermostat. These can be programmed to lower the temperature when you’re not home and when you are sleeping. Some smart thermostats can even learn when you are not home and adjust the temperature. The Department of Energy estimates you can save 10 percent a year on your heating and cooling costs by installing a programmable thermostat.  Your local One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning technician can help you determine the best thermostat for your needs.
- 3. Change filters - A dirty or clogged filter makes your HVAC system work harder and makes it less efficient. Change filters every month or as required by your system’s manufacturer.
- 4. Let the sunshine in - Keep your curtains or window coverings open during the day to let the sun help warm your home. Keep draperies and curtains closed at night to keep the chill away.
- 5. Furnace tune-up - With the exception of replacing your air filters, there are no consumer serviceable elements of your heating system. A professional tune-up can help keep your HVAC system safe, working at peak performance and extend the useful product life.
For more on saving energy with your HVAC system contact your local One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning.
One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning is currently ranked by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 500 franchise companies (#150) and named #1 Franchise in the HVAC services category (2014.) At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning, respecting our customers' time is our #1 priority. With an emphasis on customer service, courtesy, and appreciation, every job performed by One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning is completed in a prompt, accurate, and efficient manner.