One of the best things about mild springtime weather is the ability to throw open the windows and air out stuffy homes after a long winter. You’ll also catch a break on HVAC costs by getting your ventilation for free. But before long, you’ll be depending on your air conditioner on a daily basis, and you need to make sure it’s ready for the long slog of summer.
An annual air conditioner tune-up, ideally performed in spring, is the best way to prepare your air conditioner to go the distance. Homeowners who ignore this essential maintenance pay for that mistake -- both in the form of higher energy bills and more frequent, costly breakdowns.
If you haven’t had your air conditioner serviced yet and don’t have an appointment to do so, call to make one today. Tuning up your system in spring is smart because you’ll get the job done before heavy air conditioner use, but it’s also the best time for technicians. Once summer begins in earnest, repair professionals will have their hands full with emergency breakdowns.
Reap the Benefits
An air conditioner tune-up is a maintenance that pays you back. Here are the most important ways you can save by being proactive:
- Improve your system’s efficiency. A thorough tune-up involves cleaning, testing and adjusting the entire system for peak efficiency. All air conditioners lose efficiency as they age, and units that aren’t maintained become inefficient much faster. Maximizing your system’s efficiency is the key to controlling your utility bills -- and it helps your home cool down faster!
- Avoid emergency service calls. Many unexpected system breakdowns can be avoided altogether with preventative maintenance. By scheduling an air conditioner tune-up every year, you’ll stay one step ahead of emergency repairs.
- Fix small problems, skip big ones. Air conditioners are complex systems, and small, cheap-to-fix problems can grow into big, expensive ones if left unaddressed. This can even happen when your air conditioner seems to be working fine. But if you tune up your system every year, you’ll catch these problems early and save.
- Give your air conditioner a long life. Lack of maintenance can take its toll, shaving years off the life of an air conditioner. But if you maintain your system annually, the opposite can happen -- you can make your unit last longer than average, potentially saving you thousands over the many years you’ll own your home.
- Accurately plan for replacement. No air conditioner lasts forever, and if you get yours tuned up every year, you can talk to your HVAC tech about when to ideally replace your unit. By planning for this year ahead, you’ll be able to save up and position yourself to take advantage of big sales.
Trust the Pros
There are basic HVAC system maintenance tasks you should be doing yourself, like replacing your filters on a regular basis. But when it comes to air conditioner tune-ups, it’s a job for the pros.
A lot can go wrong in a DIY attempt at a tune-up. Even something as simple as cleaning the condenser is best left to the professionals because delicate coils and fins inside the system can be inadvertently damaged in a way that will affect system performance. And that’s not to mention the risk of accidental electrical shock.
What’s more, the trained eye of your technician is what will allow you to get ahead of bigger problems that are coming down the pike. So when you have your system tuned up by a licensed pro, be sure to ask about its condition and what you should expect in the years to come.
If you’re ready to schedule your system tune-up, reach out to your local One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning today.