How to Install a Sensi Thermostat
The Sensi thermostat is one of many smart thermostat options on the market. Homeowners can take control of programmable features and access their thermostats from anywhere using the Sensi smartphone app.
Installing a Sensi thermostat takes just a few minutes and can be completed with basic tools. Keep your Wi-Fi password and smartphone handy and get to work!
Sensi Smart Thermostat Installation: What You’ll Need
To get started, you’ll need:
- Your Sensi password. You’ll find this code on the back of the Welcome Guide included in the thermostat packaging. If you’ve lost the guide, the password is also located on the back of the thermostat faceplate under the label “Sensi Security Code”.
- Your Wi-Fi network name. Make sure your network is 2.4 GHz.
- Your Wi-Fi network password. If you don’t know it, your password is often located on the back or bottom of your router.
- A screwdriver.
- Your Sensi thermostat.
Downloading the Sensi App
It all starts with your smartphone. Download the Sensi app from the App Store or Google Play. The app is free to download and serves as your mobile link to your home thermostat, no matter where you are. Once the app is downloaded, create an account using an email address you use regularly. All Sensi account information will be linked to that email account, so make sure it’s one you can easily access.
Sensi Thermostat Installation
Once you have an account set up, it’s time to get to the hardware. First, identify which thermostat you own. The two options will appear as the Touch Wi-Fi thermostat (1F87U-42WF) or Wi-Fi Thermostat (STSS). The easiest way to tell which you have is to refer to your packaging or look for buttons; if you have buttons on the faceplate, you have an STSS.
Before you begin uninstalling the existing thermostat, turn off your HVAC system first. This is as simple as turning the switch to “OFF”.
Next, remove the old thermostat cover. You may need to use your screwdriver, though some thermostats pop off with small tabs on either side.
How to Wire a Sensi Thermostat
- Remove the faceplate: Once the faceplate is removed, take a photo of the wiring while the plate and the wiring are still connected. You’ll be able to use this photo for troubleshooting later if needed.
- Remove the jumper wires: If there are any jumper wires connected to the faceplate or wall, you can remove these. They usually resemble a short U-shaped connection on the back of the thermostat faceplate.
- Follow the app directions to disconnect existing wires: Terminal labels have wires attached to your old thermostat. The application on your phone will provide a prompt to let you know which configuration is right for you. This will let you know which wire is related to which function. Sensi also provides small stickers to use as labels so it’s easy to keep track of wires.
- Remove the old thermostat: After disconnecting the wires, remove the base of the old thermostat by detaching them from the back of the thermostat. You’ll reverse this procedure by attaching the Sensi base in its place and using the provided screws to attach the new base to the wall, pulling the wires through the hole in the middle of the base.
- Connect the Sensi base: Next, connect the new base to the corresponding terminals. Use your labels and the settings provided in the app to pair the correct terminals with the right wires. Attach the cover and power on the thermostat.
For more details about thermostat wiring, refer to the Sensi wiring guide.
Connecting the Sensi Thermostat to Wi-Fi
Once the thermostat is installed, you’ll focus on connecting the unit with your home Wi-Fi network. The application on your phone will walk you through the process, but these directions are also useful if you need to reconnect to Wi-Fi later.
On the thermostat, select Menu and then Mode. You’ll notice the Wi-Fi icon flash in the upper left of the monitor, and well as the numbers 00, 11, or 22. These correspond with the Sensi version you own. After connecting to the Sensi network, you’ll enter the Sensi password found on the back of the Welcome Guide or the back of the faceplate. This will allow you to connect to your home Wi-Fi.
Finally, you will have the option to name your thermostat. We recommend naming the thermostat based on the room in your home it may be located if you have more than one.
You will also have the option to register your thermostat by filling in your home address. If you installed the unit successfully, you’ll be able to select “Start Using Sensi” to open the main screen of the application.
How to Unlock a Sensi Thermostat
Unlocking a Sensi thermostat is a simple process. The Sensi’s locking feature is designed to ensure no one adjusts the temperature without the consent of the passcode holder. If you do lock the thermostat accidentally, there is a way to unlock it without the code.
If you have the code, simply select Menu, followed by the UNLOCK option, which appears on the bottom right-hand side of the screen. You will then be prompted to input your three-digit code.
If you forget your three-digit code, you’ll need to reset the unit. Hold down the Temp Up, Temp Down, and Fan buttons at the same time for five seconds. Follow the set-up instructions above to bring your thermostat back online.
How to Reset a Sensi Thermostat
A full reset is slightly more in-depth than an emergency unlock:
- Pull on the sides of the thermostat to remove the faceplate from the wall.
- Remove the batteries and wait until the display goes blank. If your model does not have batteries, simply disconnect the blue C-wire. This will cut power to the unit.
- Put the batteries back in and replace the faceplate on the wall. In a minute, the thermostat should reset. If you have a wired unit, reconnect the C-wire after the same period of time and put the faceplate of the thermostat back on the wall.
Let One Hour Install Your Sensi Thermostat
Feeling a little lost? Don’t worry. Our experienced technicians can install your new smart thermostat and show you how to unlock, reset, and troubleshoot your new unit. Additionally, if you run into any issues, don’t hesitate to call One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning to troubleshoot.
Call (800) 893-3523 or request an appointment online with your local One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning. We’re here to help with all your smart thermostat, heating, and cooling needs.