Winter is arriving in the Charlotte area and that means your furnace is working hard to keep your home warm. Our customers call in saying things like: “My Heat is not working,” “There is no air coming out of the vents,” “We hear a loud humming, banging noise from the furnace,” and “What is that burning smell?” These things definitely be cause for concern and make your family not as comfortable. Today, most furnaces are made to be as quiet as possible. At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Charlotte, we want to make sure your home is as comfortable as possible and fix these problems, so they don’t become bigger ones.
Why would no air be coming out of my vents?
- Dirty or clogged Furnace Filters
- Temperature is Incorrectly Set
- Blower Fan is not working
- Heating Coils are not Functioning
- Circuit Breaker is off
If you see these things happening, you can check to make sure the thermostat is working properly. If that is, check the air filter and gas supply.
What could be causing a noisy furnace?
- A clogged filter
- Dirty Burners
- Gaps in the Duct system
- Look Ducts or rips in the duct system
- Loose screws
- A broken or loose blower motor
What is that burning smell?
- Could be normal dust burning off your system. When a furnace is not on, dust and dirt particles can settle inside the furnace and it creates a burning smell when you first turn on your system. It will only last about an hour or so but always make sure to check the air filter and replace it.
- Electrical, metallic, or plastic burning smells – these are not normal and could be an overheated motor, worn bearing or wiring issue.
- Musty smell – this could be from a dirty air filter or you may even have mold built up in your HVAC system.
Call for Professional Service Maintenance & Repairs
When it comes to working on a furnace, it is always recommended to have a service professional get the work done. A professional HVAC technician will diagnose the issue and solve all your HVAC related issues including furnace and heater maintenance, repair, replacement, and air duct cleaning. At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Charlotte, we have been servicing furnaces in the Charlotte area since 1971. (704) 703-4220 to schedule your appointment today!