Here in Charlotte; spring is a great time of the year to get to those much needed homeowner tasks you’ve been putting off. As Charlotte HVAC repair specialists in the area; we work with a lot of customers who lose money every year due to a lack of knowledge on how to make their homes more energy efficient.
According to The Alliance to Save Energy; “The average household spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills, and nearly half of that comes from heating and cooling costs.” This is very unfortunate, since it has been our experience that most homeowners could greatly reduce their energy bills with some simple maintenance; either completed by themselves or an experienced Charlotte HVAC repair company.
In order to better educate our potential customers, we decided to create a list of ways you can reduce some of these costs. In order for these cost saving measures to work though, your heating and cooling system must be in good working order, if you have any doubt, contact a local Charlotte HVAC repair specialist, they will conduct a full inspection or replacement of your HVAC unit.
SIMPLE MAINTENANCE TIPS TO SAVE MONEY
- How old is your thermostat? Outdated thermostats that aren’t able to be programmed lack efficiency, causing you to lose money every month. The newest thermostats can even be programmed via a smartphone app.
- How old is your HVAC unit in general? Older HVAC systems are simply not very efficient, consider upgrading to a newer model. If you need help, contact us and we can provide solid knowledge and advice in this area.
- When was the last time you checked the air filter? One of the easiest ways to maintain your HVAC system is a regular inspection of the air filter. Ideally, you want to clean or change the filter (depending on whether it is reusable or disposable) once a month during the warm weather seasons.
- Got a huge bush by the outdoor unit? Your unit needs room to take in air from the outside. If that area is covered in overgrown bushes, leaves and other plant life; it simply cannot do its job efficiently. Do a visual inspection of that outside unit, clear away any organic matter that is within a few feet of the outside unit.
- When was your last HVAC inspection? Consider having a complete inspection done by a qualified tech from a Charlotte HVAC repair tech company, a true professional will always show you ways to save you money. An HVAC repair tech can properly clean an HVAC system and notify you of any potential problem before your system breaks down completely. If you spend a little money upfront YOU will save a lot more in the long run.
- Got any cracks and crevices? Cool air will easily escape through any crevices near windows and door;, as well as any cracks you may have in your unit’s ducts. Make sure all of these are properly sealed, so that you are not losing cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter. Older homes are especially susceptible.
Again, these basic maintenance tips will reduce your energy costs during both warm and cold months. Spring is the perfect time to check on this issue. Do you have further questions about making your home more energy efficient?
Then contact an expert Charlotte HVAC repair team like One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of Charlotte today to find out how much money you could be saving every year. Reach us at (704) 703-4220!