If your home needs AC or heater repair, knowing some important HVAC terms can help you make informed decisions. Our professional technicians at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of the Bay Area can assist you with all your heating and cooling needs in the Bay area.
Understanding Heat Pumps
A heat pump can be a great way to heat and cool your home, especially in moderate climates like California. They function as both a heating and cooling system. During the heating season, they move cool outdoor air inside; during the cooling season, they move warm air from your house to the outdoors.
Types of heat pumps:
- Air-source – transfers air between your house and the outdoors; powered by electricity
- Geo-thermal – transfers heat between your house and the ground or a nearby water source
- Absorption – works like an air-source pump, but powered natural gas, propane, solar-heated water, or geothermal-heated water
Parts that can malfunction or wear out resulting in inefficient heating or cooling:
- air handler – a unit that has a variable-speed fan, built-in evaporator coil, and electrical controls
- evaporator coil – a device in which a liquid refrigerant is vaporized
- refrigerant – a substance which produces a refrigerating effect while expanding or vaporizing
- check valve – a valve designed to permit flow in one direction only
- filter – a replaceable unit that traps dust, impurities, and allergens
Understanding Your Air Conditioning Unit
Central air conditioning systems use a condensing unit to cool down and condense refrigerant vapors into a liquid and a compressor with a fan to circulate the air inside.
- condensing unit – the part of a refrigeration system where the compression and condensation of refrigerant is accomplished
Regardless of the type of heating and cooling system you have, regular maintenance is essential to make sure your system is operating properly. Parts can malfunction or simply wear out with normal use resulting in a variety of problems that will prevent your system from operating at peak efficiency.
Call the Experts
If you are thinking about replacing your furnace or air conditioning system or you need to repair or service your existing one, One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® of the Bay Area in Santa Rosa can help you. As a Bay Area heating contractor, we have serviced the entire Bay Area for 21 years. Call us at (707) 600-6671.